Open GG File
GG file extension is most commonly associated with a Google Gadget, a small widget or plug-in which can be added to a user's Google Desktop. These can add functionality in the form of mini applications or provide news or updates through RSS feeds. Though uncommon, the GG file extension may also represent a Koala Paint compressed image, or a Sega GameGear ROM image.
Google Gadget GG files can be installed to a user's iGoogle page, desktop or sidebar, and may serve a variety of purposes. Small applications can add useful functionality, such as a calculator, search toolbar, currency converter or translator. Alternatively, widgets may feed the latest news headlines, weather or blog updates from a website to the user's desktop. There are also a wide range of interactive games available which also come packaged in the GG file format.
Google Gadget files are compressed archives stored in ZIP format with the GG file extension, and typically contain a gadget.gmanifest file which gives information about the gadget, a main.xml file which provides the user interface of the gadget as well as any additional scripts or resources required by the gadget. When a user downloads and runs a GG file, Google Desktop automatically unzips, installs and registers the gadget.
GG files are similar to Windows Vista's File extension GADGET or Apples File extension WDGT files in that they provide a complete package for desktop widgets. By using a standard format, it allows developers to create their own Google Gadgets and easily distribute them as a single package over the Internet. However, as GG files are compressed ZIP archives that may legitimately contain scripts, they should be scanned with an up to date anti virus application prior to opening, especially if they are from an unknown source, as they could contain malware.
You can open GG files by Google Desktop, which is available on the Windows and Mac platforms. Alternatively, you can open GG files using any archive and compression application which supports ZIP files, which will allow the contents to be viewed and modified if required.
Open GG File on Windows Operating System
- Find a GG file in question in Windows OS File Explorer and double click on it to launch the correpsonding application.
- If a GG file is not opened in an application and you instead get a "Windows can't open a file" error message you should try looking for an application which can open the file in question.
- If you know the application which can open GG file then run it and see if there is a File->Open main menu option in the application.
- If you don't know the application which can open GG file then try to search for "GG wiki", "application to open GG file" or "open GG file" queries in the search engine you like.
- Install the application you found and check if it can open GG file
Rate GG file page: 5/5 based on 20 ratings
Populating this website with information and maintaining it is an ongoing process. We always welcome feedback and questions that can be submitted by visiting Contact Us page. However since there are many users visiting this website and because our team is quite small we may not be able to follow up personally on every request. Thank you for your understanding.
For more general information about how to open GG files, file extension gg and registry you can read one of the following articles:
- Windows registry - Windows registry is included in modern Windows operating systems to replace the older INI files which also contained system configuration. Let's concentrate on the structure and purpose of Windows System Registry, review some possible attacks to it and ways to avoid them...
- Folders, files and paths - Files are the entries or information stored on your computer. These are represented by binary coding and written on the tracks on a disk. Files are often represented by distinct icons, a normal practice done by Microsoft with their products including system files for their series of operating systems...
- What are file extensions? - File extensions are unnoticed yet are very crucial parts of the computer world. But many are still unaware of the basic foundation and principles behind the remarkable wonders of computers...